Saturday, May 2, 2009

Entry point of thesis


The hardest part of doing a thesis for me is to give myself a brief. What should I do with the last chance that I can do what ever I want? Basically, I want to make mobile phone applications which may success on apple store or nokia ovi store. However, what is the issue inside it? It could be design methods of making mobile phone application, focusing on one application, or from a big theme such as next social communication app on the mobile phone context. I can do well in each way, but I hesitate to chose one because how high a design can reach depends on the initial vision.

The diagram is visualization of what I have thought so far. There are there catagories: How, Who, Why and I list what acrossed my mind. This three cagetories are questions that every design should answer: why this design is important, who it is for and how it works. These could also be there entry points to my thesis.

As you can see, technology category is longest and this is also the reflection of industrial actuality. Most of the innovative design comes from new technology and then marketing people try to focus potential users. At this moment, unless I can build something from fundamental hardware, there is no new technology. Too many people has done many interesting innovative projects in lab.

About the user group, I am more interested in organizational relationship. For example, the elementary school is composed of teachers, students and parents and there are some subtle interactions between these stakeholders. For web 2.0 spirits, these kind of relationship is easy to spread out a app.

Personally, I am very interested in the movement of next generation communication app. From digg, facebook to twitter, they hit or invent some essential human needs. Maybe, it is good to start from a theme, what is the next communication app on the mobile context.

No comments: