Thursday, May 7, 2009

What I want to do with mobile phone

This week, there is a open lecture by James Haliburton, TAT (http://tat.se/) . They did great job about improving mobile phone UI through gesture, sound, tactile and try to go beyond wimp user interface. These are definitely fascinating to explore. However, these projects make me sure that I am more interested in how people interact or communicate with others and information than new mobile phone input methodology.

Service design course opens my eyes and it shows me how innovation could be by users. In my past design, I always tried hard to get insights from my own experience. It is weird that designer can do any design before really understanding the users or context. The mobile phone applications now seem almost all come from technology such as gps plus map goads lots of social network around location. I think we need to zoom out to view how "mobile phone always online" weaves into our life pattern deeply.

After digesting all thoughts across my mind, I want to focus on "Web 2.0 application in Mobile context". This means I want to do something that improves people's relationship, generates some valuable information such as twitter or creating a new behavior / verb named as application name sush as google this.

In this phase, Simona, head of CIID, encourages us to have a big vision, even it is not clear or we don't know how to achieve it. She took The Duomo of Florence as example. At the begining, italians just want to make a huge church that is astonished and makes everyone remember it and they took two hundred years to make it happened. It is really helpful@@

No comments: