Friday, May 15, 2009

Mobile Context


I want to do "Web2.0 application in mobile context". From my research, I found out we use the computer to access internet in a specific context. We will do it in a room, only focus on the using computer, individually and sit in front of the computer( see the chart in the first picture). Furthermore, use computer before or after an activity. In contrast, mobile context is more about outdoor, in an activity, with friends and on-the-go.

I made a little experiment in the afternoon open lecture to explore what we need in mobile context. There are few insights. First, before lecture we chatted and one classmate showed the iPhone app. This software is more about showing something not about finding something new. Second, I would like some software that can record this experience in simple reusable media. Third, I want to know what others opinions are in more casual way or opinion for specific section .

The second picture shows some mobile contexts to inspire me. Originally I made a attention distribution of the different mobile context scenario to understand the relationships of these context. I feel that there could be two kinds of the software used in an activity. One is the complement of the main activity. For example, in a lecture I have a device to record the experience. The other one is sub-activity that means a totally different activity parallel happens. For example, when biking, listen to music.

This week, Christena Nippert Eng from IIT(http://www.iit.edu/csl/ss/faculty/nippert_christena.shtml) is our visiting faculty. She gives me a great point of view about attention distribution. Attention should not be related to the different kinds of context. For example, if biking in the crowded traffic, user should pay lots of attention on it. Like the right side chart, it changes in different time not strongly relative to activity.

No comments: