Sunday, June 14, 2009

Interview with people in work environment

I try to understand people who have high demand on communication and the characters of communication.

User 1
male
TSMC, semiconductor, biggest company in Taiwan
works in a nine people team
responds to maintain the quality of chips by fixing machine

Qutoes
“my supervisor knows what I am working on by the request email from clients”
“we will have meeting all together once a week, it is good time to know what each other are doing now”
“There is a database with formal reports”
“I have too many unsolved problems, I don’t have time to deal with it”
“My boss wants me to have ability of working individually”
“sometime I am too busy, I will ignore the 84% yield rate by averaging with 98%”
“When I face-to-face talk to my supervisor, we always only talk about the problems I face and then help me. I want to share my findings.”


User 2
male
team leader in design consultancy firm
interaction designer

Quotes
“Understanding the culture in Big company is similar to peeking a room in a hole”
“it is important to share the same vision in the team of Design consultancy”
“there are two part of the work. One is design. the other is get-thing-done. Averagely it is 50% to 50% of time”
“I think there is no communication problem but collaborating with wrong person”
“Small company communicate face-to-face and make decision very fast”
“When I divide the project to specific task, I finish 70% of work”
“The best work environment is everyone woking in the same space”
“We had a project working remotely. I discuss by phone with the other leader in xxxx, and we both made sure our own team’s result ”
“Sometimes some colleges are not good to decide something together, because them have different mental model. However, he is the stakeholder. It is good to inform he officially but doesn’t know”
“Design is not like manufacture. It is impossible to deliver things with standard to the others”
“Communication in company under 35 persons is the ideal for every one, because it is easy to face-to-face communication. Company beyond 35 persons is totally different story”




User 3
male
working in R&D department of P&G
interaction designer

Quotes
“we have internal instant message system. It is easy to discuss, sharing and arrange things”
“There are lots of powerful function on internal communication system such as meeting, redirect skype call to cell phone. However, I never use it”
“In design team, it is more important to establish unspoken consensus than to have good communication tool”
“Design work can’t be managed by time”

No comments: